Sunday 18 July 2010

Rap to be continued...

So I wrote a rap about victorian medicine. Won't look like much; I've spent a bit of time practicing reciting it, I've picked out a beat to go behind it, and I've tried recording myself rapping it, but due to technical difficulties, mostly PC related, my efforts to post a video of my rap in action failed. However, fear not! I will soon solve this problem and find a way to embarrass myself on the net! But in the meantime, here are the lyrics. It won't be easy to follow from a rhythmic standpoint. Only I know the secrets of the flow... But anyway, yeah, this is it. Enjoy, or enjoy it later once I post my video anyway.

Told to mind the gap,
Thought I’d write a rap,
Starting on the train, knowledge in the brain,
Drawing from the lessons of this place that we came
London’s the name
Victoria’s era’s worth studyin’, world’ll never be the same
-that’s right, Changes in medicine, treatments getting’ better and better and
But you’d better listen, you know you
Gotta start somewhere gotta analyze the places we’ve been,
Let’s step back and begin.

Pondering the professions of men,
Surgeons, Physicians, Apothecaries all of them, getting by in
Different ways, their levels of praise unequal for the
Different ways they’re spending their days
In training

Physicians get to walk around and rep a gold cane, surgeons
Settle for silver, chemists get iron, so lame,
Apothecaries mixing medicine physicians prescribe
Never allowed to mix their own stuff, request denied surgeons have tried,
To gain legitimacy perfecting their craft
Not so easy though till Hunter put them on the map
Advanced anatomy,
Dissecting she and he, Resurrection men
Make sure he’s never without a body.

Perfected new techniques,
Brought surgery to new peaks,
But what was surgery like before Hunter plugged up the leaks?
We know it wasn’t great but let’s go ahead and investigate, it may make us
Irate but let’s travel back to a later date.

Surgeons learning from apprenticeship, here’s a helpful tip, get on
The ground; hold the bucket while the blood drips.
That cut looks deep and raw, so I’ll pull out my saw, don’t worry
I’ll put this leather in your mouth, feel free to gnaw. Sorry
I don’t have a way to help you deal with pain but
I assure you once that leg’s gone it won’t ever hurt again
So I’ll lay out your options, I’m quite good at blood letting,
I’ve got leeches too but that’s it so bite down, the sun’s setting.

Yeah, so that’s what it was like to be a cutter
But wait one minute, haven’t said enough about the other pro-
fessional healer if it can be so called
If you’re well-to-do then bet you pence I’ll be on call
Talking bout the Physician, higher in society, said he could
Figure out your ailment if you paid his fee, but
Whatever it is don’t fret,
Bed-rest could help you yet
Drink lots of fluids vacation may be your best bet

Physicians got a buffer
Less bloody than the other
They go to university they aint no common sucker
But what they doing once they’re done with university?
They drinking pee, came from me, sip it down pretend it’s tea
But then get right back to me, I’m paying for your degree,
I’m wealthy, what’s the matter with me, what did my taste concede?
Here’s my fee, go ahead and make me healthy,
Hopefully your expertise’ll find a way to cure me.

But back then things like germs weren’t even understood,
Treatments were limited; they often did no good, took a
While to realize wasn’t smell at all, that was
Causing your diseases, culprit was too small,
So I’ll stop things here but listen,
Follow the medicinal road signs,
Start looking into organ systems,
Do that and you should be just fine- Done

No comments:

Post a Comment